I’ve been thinking lately that my mobile lab could use a major upgrade, especially since HackRU and some of mild inconveniences I discovered.
So, about 6 months ago I bought a PickIt 2 and a few PIC18f2550’s because I saw they have hardware usb, and are in a dip package, which gives it a leg up compared to my usual chipset, the Atmel AVR line. I put together a basic board, similar to a basic Arduino just to test out basic functionality and see how the usb stack would work. Let me tell you, that was the easiest part. Microchips lack of a good, up to date C compiler and toolset makes the whole software process incredibly difficult. I started going the route of mplabx with XC8, which turned out to be a dead end, because it suffers the age old software problem of being to new for the associated third party libraries and tools, and not fully supporting the 18f2550 correctly. So I had to move to c18, and then SDCC. All of these where either incredibly hard to set up correctly, or had horrible libraries for basic things like delays. Occasionally (about once a month) I will go back to this board and try over again, but It never works. Mind you, this is all before I even get to the point of even thinking about usb functionality. All in all, I’m not too impressed. Maybe one day I will finally get it and have less complaints, but until then I will just stick to AVRs and ARMs .
I have a lab in my apartment, but unfortunately, I cannot bring the whole thing with me to hackathons and other events, so I decided to make my mobile project lab.
Here’s a board for an upcoming project I’m working on.
WorkIt! is an Arduino based motion controller using an MPU-6050 for motion detection, and an HC-06 Bluetooth module for communication with the Android host Program. I’m Just going to explain what the project is all about, and outline exactly how you can create your own.
ArtPress is the project that my team and I worked on at HackTech winter 2014. I will make a full writeup on hacktech later.
So, lately I have been working on a project for the upcoming Hacktech that involves some IR Position detection. The best way I found to do this was to take apart a wiimote and get the IR camera out of it.